The first step in bringing Soul Shop to a region is the Soul Shop Event. This one-day training provides core guidance for congregational leaders to respond to suicidality and other impacts of desperation in their communities. It is brought to a community by a host organization, frequently a church or counseling center, that sees the need in their area. Hundreds of people have already been reached with the Soul Shop Event in locations across the United States. More information about hosting.
At the conclusion of the Soul Shop Event nearly half of participants indicate a desire to take further steps in developing safe communities. Further participation can take a number of forms:
- Joining the Network: becoming part of the Soul Shop network through email newsletters, prayer, and spreading the word.
- Individual Follow-up: Having a follow-up conversation with a Soul Shop staff member about the impact of The Soul Shop Training in your life and what that means for your work.
- Intensive Training: Further individual training in responding to suicidality through ASIST.
- Bringing it to Your Congregation: Bringing a summarized form of The Soul Shop Event to your church leadership (through the The Soul Shop Training DVD) or congregation (through Soul Shop for Congregations).
- Consulting: Working with a Soul Shop consultant in the Convergent program to take practical steps to change your church culture.
Together we hope to reduce the isolation and hopelessness of those impacted by suicidal desperation in our country.